In honor of November, I thought I would share a great recipe that I have used (and recommended to clients) countless times. Jamie Eason’s Pumpkin Protein Bars are a yummy, clean eating snack that especially good this time of year.
- ½ C Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 – 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground clove
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 – 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
- 2 C oat flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk lite
- ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
- Makes 24 squares.
Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein
Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein
*I recommend freezing what you don’t use. Since these bars have no preservatives, they will expire very quickly! Once they are cooled, cut into squares and separate into individual baggies for portion control. Put in your lunchbox in the morning and they will be cooled by snack-time.